Collapse Sidebar
  1. Welcome to The Dragon's List!
    If you have not registered on The Dragon's List, the process is fast, easy, and free! You can register by clicking here.
    If you have already registered you can log in by clicking here.

chan family choy lee fut in san diego

Discussion in 'Newcomers Forum' started by sdclf, May 24, 2005.

1. Offline

sdclf

mike patterson

thanks for the private message quaijohn...unfortunately i agree with everything you said. i know all about nf and how he does things.

dude mike patterson is a pretty bad ass. when i was at wd, they talked so much crap about him. they spread rumors that wd challenged sifu patterson to a fight and he chickened out. i saw one of your school's green or blue sash tests and it was like 100 times harder than wd's black sash test. im happy for you that you're training at sifu patterson's place. apparently he's the lineage holder for his style. his andrea was really nice when we met.

we will definitely get together when our school is up and running. im a big fan of chen tai chi and hsing i, particularly sifu patterson's teachiing. whats funnie is, he rejected me after i told him i was a wd instructor. after i left wd, i wanted to give hsing i a try but sifu patterson was adamant about not accepting any wd people. but he was really nice, nonetheless.
  2. Offline

sdclf

buddhabass

what city are you from? im sure a good school is near you.
  3. Offline

sdclf

is anyone in this forum competing soon in any tournaments? my last tournament was DFW's in 2000.

if so, how are you preparing for it. how much do you pay attention to diet. i used to never but now i have to.
  4. Offline

aaradia

Styles:
    Choy Li Fut, Yang Tai Chi
    Years:
    9/8
    What's the real agenda here?

Ok slfsd, you keep saying you are not out to bash anyones school or start stuff, so why do you keep doing it? Even to the point of responding to a private message in public? Could it be that you have business ties to the new school entering the area of White Dragon, which has been around for 20 years? hmmm. See evidence below.....

Well, this puts a different slant on things. What exactly is your relation to the new school? Sounds like you are more than a student, but have some business ties as well? Maybe even part ownership? (I note you said "our school" - not your masters/ teachers school.) This is not just a students enthusiasm, but hmmm, trying to knock on the biggest competition perhaps? a Subtle Smear campaign perhaps?

If your teacher truly does not want anything to do with the issues dividing the community, do you think he would approve of your contributing to them? And if he does approve of your public Sifu bashing, well................I am going to think he truly would not.

Don't you feel like you can compete fairly? What about the let's all be brothers in CLF attitude? You keep saying you just want to learn, but what percentage of your posts are about learning and how many are about knocking WD?

Despite your repeated statements, I had done research on WD when I first joined, and found it to have a good reputation. My sister, who has 20 + years of experience in other forms of martial arts and particularly San Soo K-F, looked into it and has found many of the teachings to be sound.

There are people who have issues with any organization. I am truly sorry yours was so bad with WD, but there are many whose experience is quite different. Many of my fellow students and some of the teachers I have spoken with have found it to be a profoundly positive experience in our lives. And I have yet to hear one negative thing said by anyone there of another school. DFW has many people who respect him as our Grandmaster. If you don't respect him, can your respect us enough to knock it off?

I find it hypocritical that you keep talking about how allegedly WD staff bashed others, yet you are doing the SAME thing! Why don't you start setting an example instead? People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones as the old saying goes.

BTW, As a general philosophy, any school who would reject you solely on your past school instead of your individual worth as a Martial Artist and as a person is suspect IMO. The way I look at things, it reflects poorly on them.

(Let me reiterate, I am only speaking of this as a general philosophy, not with regards to anyone you have spoken of as I have not had any personal experience with them.)

To paraphrase you, I am getting "tired of your act",

-aaradia

5. Offline

QuaiJohnCain

Now that is funny. I'm guessing that's why NF's top guys flocked to an EX student of Patterson's to help patch up the holes in thier stuff. I know how Patterson handles challenges. Why WD would embarrass themselves with such a claim is beyond me. Care to share any more detatils about it?

Damned politics. Believe me, he does not like to have to do that.
  6. Offline

QuaiJohnCain

...and you're putting on the mask of the morality police to bash HIM (via shame). Sheesh.

As crappy as it may be, the fact is that politics play a huge role when running a school. So when you have the bad apples of one school trying to send in "agents" to another for whatever reasons, they ruin things for the genuine people in the former.
  7. Offline

aaradia

Styles:
    Choy Li Fut, Yang Tai Chi
    Years:
    9/8
    I have not once bashed his skill as a martial artist, his new lineage, his personal experiences, his school, or his teacher/ master/ Sifu. I have called him on his hypocritical behavior on this list alone. Big difference. If you think that is "morality police" that is fine. I disagree. Whatever.

Besides this I am done with this. I made my point and plan to invest no more energy into it.

aaradia
  8. Offline

Thecrowdragon

greetings San Diego CLF,

SDCLF,

Hello,

I am currently in the DFW lineage, by way of his Distance Learning Correspondence. I'm very unaware of all the politics that exist in CLF, given my location.

How did you come about switching to the other lineage, mind I ask?

I realize that politics exist everywhere, especially outside of the martial arts communities as well.

Maybe hearing your take on what you've experienced can help me to understand the differences and similarities in CLF or CLF's politics. Since I'm doing his (DFW)distance learning, I am without a structured class nor the camaraderie that exists with a Sifu and fellow CLF brothers/sisters.

*I was in a Northern Shaolin kung fu school for about nine years, but when my old sifu moved away I had to find another style/school. It was a blessing when I found CLF, given it's connection to southern & northern techniques.

take care,

peace,

Eric
  9. Offline

Thecrowdragon

Clf

SDCLF,

(part II reply)

Who were you referring to as "WD"? I realize asking might put some off, so if you don't wish to answer, I respect that.

As a new student to Doc Fai Wong, I am really impressed with the similarities and advantages CLF, as a whole, has with Northern Shaolin stances and internal strengthening!

SDCLF, you said you left ''one school for another CLF school'' ?

peace,

Eric
  10. Offline

sdclf

hi all,

miss aaradia, i must apologize for how we started off. im happy you like wd (white dragon) and dfw (doc fai wong.) no, my sifu does not approve of bashing other styles but he's tired of dfw's crap. i used to teach at the la mesa wd so i know how they do things.

i cant really rebutt anything you say because it would mean i go into detail about dfw and wd. and i cant do that because it's too deep. its only a matter of time before you see how things go at wd. how many students does the la mesa wd have? 300? 400? you would think after 20 years, they'd have more right? they make you sign contracts you cant get out of, thats why they've been around 20 years. i know because i used to be one of those poor instructors who would pressure students to sign up then not let them out of their contracts when they realized the school wasnt what they thought.

but like i said, i really wish i could rebutt your comments but i dont want to. i could run off a hundred foul things they do but whatever. you will find out for yourself like all the thousands have over 20 years. let me remind you i still have former students stuck at wd and instructor friends who are training in other styles behind nathan fisher's back. they all tell me nothing has changed and that they feel pressured to stay. its a clf school but they kickbox and teach kenpo to their unsuspecting students. these are instructors and students telling me this!

i must apologize to all the other readers of this forum as well. i dont want us to have animosity, thats not the kung fu way. i was wrong for letting my emotions show and i should've been more under control. it was not my intention to "bash" wd or dfw but it came across that way and im sorry. i was weak and should've resisted the urge to reveal things about wd and dfw. i wont call it bashing though because i didnt make anything up. i dont have to.

as for the chan school being opened, it will be a family atmosphere. we have smart business advisors who are helping which means we can focus on kung fu. if we are lucky, we'll be around for 20 years like wd and build a strong group of students. chan yong fa has decided to open up his family's clf to the world because he is retiring in 10 years and has a huge responsibility to carry on his family's name. he also wants to unite clf, not necessarily under him but unite it nonetheless.

anyways, sorry again. even though i dont know any of you, i feel a connection to you through kung fu. ill try not to be lost control again. but please before any of you brag about dfw or wd, at least get to know them first. i think chan yong fa and his people are awesome but because of my experience with wd, i know not to be naive enough to think anyone walks on water.

next time: lets talk about training! i wanna know what you guys do to get better!!
  11. Offline

sdclf

to eric and quai john

eric:

hey congrats on your decision to do martial arts! its a neat thing. im sure you've read all the posts on dfw and stuff. i say stick with dfw until there's a reason to stop. i cant learn long distance like that but maybe you're talented enough to do it.

i wish i could comment on why dfw is doing the long distance training but im not. since you're new to clf, i want you to enjoy it and have fun with it. my advice is make it a point to actually be able to use your clf in a fight. flowery fists and high kicks doesnt mean you can fight. doing sets is just 1/10th of clf or any style for that matter. all you can really learn in your case is just sets. i still remember all the dfw sets, ill try to help you if you want.

quai john:

i was told mike patterson didnt want a wd school in his area. this was in 1989 when the el cajon wd was being opened. and one of nathan fisher's students, challenged mike patterson to a fight in order to shut him up. the rumor goes that sifu patterson never showed up. i heard this from one of the other head instructors at wd. for all of you who dont know mike patterson, that guy can fight. lets put it this way, i knew a few wd students who have quit to go to his school but ive only met one student who quit on mike patterson to go to wd. im good friends with that student and to this day he regrets leaving sifu patterson. but like i said before, he's stuck in his contract at wd. so he's trying to make the best of it.

also, when our school opens, my sifu would love it if your school could come down and work out with us as a sign of good luck. we are friends with the praying mantis and taoist sanctuary on park blvd. we will also be training with the jing institute people. on sundays, we share balboa park with them. they created the kuoshu association of san diego. its for traditional schools and we'll be joining their group. pershaps, your sifu would be interested (not that he needs us or anything.) my sifu wants to created a vibrant martial arts community in san diego. all these schools will be coming to our grand opening and performing as well. its gonna be neat.
  12. Offline

CLF Devil

Nice. I'm glad you made your own decision, instead of one based on other people's opinions and gossip.

NO POLITICS!!! My Sifu virtually NEVER talks about politics, even our dispute with a local. . . . . . school. . . . . something I'm not going to get into, so don't ask, but you probably already know anyways . . . .

No, I don't train with Li Siu Hung, but I train with Sifu Mak Hin Fai, thus Mr. Hung is my Sisuk. I also have GREAT respect for my Sigung, from everything I've heard about him. I wish I could have met the man.

For all of you starting to make negative remarks. . . . please stop. Even if it is a refute, rebuttle, or to protect your own pride. I hate politics. If it goes on, it will destroy Choy Lay Fut. Who cares "which story" of CLF is right? Who cares what the Chan family puts on their websites? Hell, who cares about titles and ranks? It does no good to fight and argue.

I think we just all needs to get back to training hardcore and learn to fight. I am, however, not pleased with CLF schools (whatever Sifu, branch, or lineage, no particular targets) that focus intensely on forms and performance, NOT the fighting spirit that is CLF.

Peace, and long live CLF!!!
  13. Offline

sdclf

what a coincidence, i saw a picture of your sifu just today. i have al ot of respect for the clf lineages other than dfw. and i agree with most of your post except for the "who cares what the chan family writes in their websites." with all due respect, it all comes from chan family. a lot of stuff was kept secret whether people wanna believe it or not. im studying chan family stuff and its blows away any clf i've learned up to this point. the chan family sui moi fa has strikes, kicks and footwork that the dfw sui moi fa doesnt. ping kuen has crazy footwork and leg sweeps that are not present in the previous clf i learned.

ya i agree with most of your assessment. i just dont like dfw lineage b/c i feel cheated. its a long story.

what city are you from? it would be great if one day our schools got together and trained. i have so much more to learn and i wanna make up for lost time.
  14. Offline

kungfuchick

i do chan family choy lee fut

hi all,

i'm new and i just wanted to say, "hello!" any other people that do chan family out there?

sdclf-how's my kung fu brother doing?
  15. Offline

Wah Lum Pai

I'm new as well, but welcome. I'm not up on the controversy regarding CLF, but nonetheless, I am happy to talk kung fu with anybody.
  16. Offline

kungfuchick

hiya

thank you, i'm happy to be here!
  17. Offline

Thecrowdragon

Choy Li Fut !!

Yes, I agree, CLF should be celebrated and the vigor with which it is practiced should be adhered to! I'm relieved I didn't start the "politics" talk, and I can see how it can quickly suck one in and get us mezmerized by it's emotional content.

The founder of CLF would want nothing less: keep practicing! Let's celebrate our differences and differing viewpoints on CLF. Afterall, if we all had the same CLF backgrounds/beliefs, it would be abnormal.

peace!

Eric
  18. Offline

jawsman Getting older by the second...

Politics, smolitics..... I'm so glad I've never experienced such things.
  19. Offline

sdclf

It is hard to not get sucked into the politics talk. But I feel like if students like us are expected to keep our mouths shut out of respect, then certain "masters" need to keep their mouths shut too. I came from an environment where putting down other styles and clf lineages was commonplace. I've found several forums bashing DFW and I think he gets what he deserves. Same with WD.

Anyways... how much "groundfighting" does everyone's particular style do? I'm curious about that. I know CLF has the 108 chin na and 2nd/3rd gate techniques, but I'm not 100% sure yet if we do any groundfighting per se. I know all the chin na and relaxation can be applied to the ground but I'm not sure if actually do any back to the ground fighting. At WD we advertised that we did but nobody knew it and we had to go ask jiu jit su guys to help us. The same guys that they made fun of. Do any of your styles teach it? Thanks!
  20. Offline

CLF Devil

I wrote a VERY long reply to all this political crap. . . . and the dragonslist logged me out. GREAT.

To keep things simple, RESPECT EVERYONE that deserves respect. If you dislike any one individual, please let that rest with yourself. Even though I'm not familiar with the DFW or WD people, I believe that there are good and bad people with them.

Please, no more politics. It's destroying the style.