Collapse Sidebar
  1. Welcome to The Dragon's List!
    If you have not registered on The Dragon's List, the process is fast, easy, and free! You can register by clicking here.
    If you have already registered you can log in by clicking here.

Drunken Boxing

Discussion in 'Other' started by eight fist, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Offline

eight fist Allumni

Styles:
    Drunken Boxing &Internals
    Years:
    Hi, I was just wondering how many other people here study any drunken boxing and if they would be willing to share their ideas and styles theories, etc. It is a hard style to find fresh views on as it is quite rare where I am. Any takers

:D
  2. Offline

migo

IMNSHO, the only useful application of drunken boxing is fighting straight while actually drunk, or making the oponent laugh so hard that you don't have to fight them - but that's just me.
  3. Offline

Ryoga Allumni

Hello!

What's up. I do Zui Ba Xian, or 8 immortal drunkard style. It's a really fun gong fu to learn. I personally fight with drunken, not just make my opponent laugh. I beat my brother several times with me using Zui Ba Xian and him using a hard hitting kung fu.:D
  4. Offline

eight fist Allumni

Styles:
    Years:
    Drunken

Cool! I find drunken to be very effective against other kung fu as well, although it is a difficult system to be able to use, at least for me. Where do you practice it I learned it through another kung fu system that has drunken within it, a family style, I wonder what the differences between the drunken styles are Any ideas
  5. Offline

Ryoga Allumni

Nihao!

Yahoo, some people who actually respect drunkard style. Anyway, there are several kinds of drunken fu, but they're almost virtually the same, with the differences that they all have some what different strengths and weaknesses.:brow: :D :) :cool: :eek:
  6. Offline

Nik
    Super Moderator

I don't know which "drunken styles" are on the market, but the exercises I know are for developing athletics for kids or young adults (head stands, head flips), and some kind of internal power as in the "breaks" between moves where strange positions are taken, the stillness is used to produce a sort of tension for striking with (kind of "dynamic tension" exercise with no bull****).

I personally rate the application of the "weird" form movements in physical appearance instead of the tension power as off the mark, but, that's me personal.
  7. Offline

LoneTiger Allumni

I think there are both compleate drunken systems which are VERY rare and many arts which use drunken in one form or another. In Hung Ga it has some influence and i think most of the style can be done in that fashion if one see's fit. Still its more an advaced skill and although i like to play about i dont know the proper in's and outs.

One thing i do know- its DARN powerfull, the stuff ive been shown is very strong but kinda brutal as well. It adds a lot to the movements.

Just like the animals elements, emotions and many other things can be used as a way to both enhance the spirit or fool the opposition.

I love drunken boxing and hope to one day find a teacher near where i live who knows a whole system. Though not of the wu-shu varity that really just pissing about hehe
  8. Offline

eight fist Allumni

Styles:
    Years:
    Excellent! So from the drunken kung fu you have studied what are the major concepts and theories behind it The first concept I was taught was in the form of games played to increase your mindset... the first and easier one was "chase the cup" where you would be given a chinese wine cup and your opponent had to try get it from you, at first there was very little fighting, only the actual cup was chased. This then progressed until you were literally fighting over who gets to drink the wine. After a few weeks/months of this then the cup was filled with water and you must try to drink it, but not spill. This always resulted in pushups. The main idea behind the game was to gain the mindset of the drunken boxing, one of the fighting mindsets begins with someone trying to steal your drink. Did anyone else have any training exercises like this one I will go on about the training a little later..
  9. Offline

LoneTiger Allumni

Training methods

Thats a hard one to touch on not least of which becouse its kinda closed door info in my style.

Still in the interests of sharing and seeing as you have told me some training methods ill tell you a little of what ive learnt.

Any animal can be adapted to drunkard, still it seems to have a favour for crane and dragon.

Ive learnt several chi gung excercises designed to strengthen and lossen up the back all of which have been in DEEP stance. Hence your feet are locked forcing your body to do all the twisting.

I have also learnt a few stepping patterns and some skills designed to make your body more floppy. In application these skills are used to both add speed and power to the movements but at the same time more control is needed.

I also learnt several ways to adapt the stances and general movement of what i had learnt to better fit the drunkard.

I think the reason true drunkard is so rare is that it requires a heavy grounding in ma already. If not you would be doing nothing but bridge work for 10+ years before even starting the kung fu proper. I also think that due to its nature[ie drunk] its more brutal and less forgiving than some arts hence not taught much except to closed door students.

Also i personaly doubt that there are many proper tradional 'forms' in drunkard due to the nature of the stepping and the fact that indivual charactor comes into play and form would be changed so far from person to person it would be uselss.

This brings about a state where only a few know its uses and even fewer have properly trained in it.

I view it as a higher level skill in its true form and really deserves respect...
  10. Offline

eight fist Allumni

Styles:
    Years:
    Thank you Tiger for sharing information that is closed door in your style... although now I will try to pry more out of you ... heh heh.. I was wondering if you could explain the stepping exercises you were taught for drunken boxing. In the family style I practice the stepping was very simple, although it adhered to the same ideas you spoke of... a planted stance with much of the "wobble" done by the body. Although the actual steps were very few although difficult. Each involving different rolls of the foot while remaining stable, which is a difficult proposition. I also agree that true hundreds of year old drunken forms are nigh impossible to pass down exactly as they were created as the steps and such are so loose and easy to ad lib. Have to go, but I will write more later...
  11. Offline

MonkeyFist Allumni

Styles:
    Kung Fu
    My Sifu teaches a bit of Drunken Boxing to his "closed door" students but not much at all until one allready has a very strong foundation of kung fu. I'm not shure if public students leanr this or not, but I'm shure if they do its not until they have been there a long while. So far all I have is a very basic drunken tiger drill but the stepping pattern is taking me quiet some time to get down (because you have to fine tune it to fit you). I've seen drunken crane and dragon as well and they are quiet a site to see, but one really couldn't learn anything by watching alone. I've used to drunken foot work while sparring before and it seemed to confuse my opponenet, if I had been better at it I am shure it could have been very effective.
  12. Offline

eight fist Allumni

Styles:
    Years:
    Drunken

intersting... could you describe the drunken stepping drill you learned monkey I would be very interested to hear it as most of the stepping drills I learned were in the form of games and such, like above.

Stancework is a very important part of the drunken I have learned and seen, as like has been said it is very difficult to appear off balance without actually being off balance. Another exercise that was simply for stance training, although the next level is used for stepping is to do the drunkard lifts the barrel stance, ( a horse stance with the body leaning back from the waist and arms above the head as if holding a barrel of wine to drink from) with a real barrel. We found one in china town... a small barrel in height although quite wide... this was then slowly filled with sand until VERY heavy. The next stage of the training was to hold the same barrel, preferably filled, and practice the drunken steps. Staggering to and fro becomes very stable when weighted down considerably... after some practice that is.

On to the subject of the steps in particular I was shown to roll the feet onto each side in every stance as the basic footwork. Then some basic stagering techniques followed. Although I would like to hear the specifics of any stepping patterns anyone was taught to see if they differ from the way I was shown.....

"Li the iron staffwith his wine vessel and Han Hsing Tze with his flute,

Han Chung-li, fan in hand to roam about;

Chang Kuo Lao on the donkeys back going backwards,

and Chao the royal uncle at midnight attending a court summons.

Lu Tung Bin carrying sword on his back;

The lotus nymph throwing fragrant flowers into the air,

while Lan Tsai Huo taking a basket of flowers to cross a bridge."

The song of the eight immortals as passed to me from my drunken master.
  13. Offline

LoneTiger Allumni

The barrel thing you mentioned ive actualy been though as well: }

The main thing in what I did was you had to swing the barrel right around in circles from a horse stance and trying to fully reach into the circle so as to get the full movement in every angle.

Hope you can get a mental picture of what i mean its like your in a horse with your hands infront like holding a barrel then you start to swing it first to the right then right over your head [leaning back] to the left and back to the front again.

Both directions and like i said before in LOW stance so all the work is basicaly done by the spind and some in the hips.

The stepping pattern i learnt was short but was basicaly moving from bow and arrow[front stance] to scissors[cross stance] to horse to cat. This was done in various orders and directions but always with the body at strange angles and always with a definate 'lurch' to the step. One other thing i was taught was extreame leaning in stance. Might sound odd but as in from say a high cat stance [on a side facing the front with most wieght on rear leg, front toe touchs ground] and then your leaning backwards to the opposite side with your hands out in the same direction.

Like holding the point between falling and standing.

I wont go into application for obvious reasons not least being how to discribe it but it wasnt that much different to normal its just there is extra power and some techs are favored. Good example is when my sifu does it he seems to favor phenix fists as opposed to regular where as 'most' Hung is usualy strait fists.

Hope this has been a little help its kinda funny to think were both practising the similar stuff in totaly diffent syles from differnt masters on different sides of the world: }}
  14. Offline

MonkeyFist Allumni

Styles:
    Kung Fu
    The drill I was taught is very basic and not quiet as in depth as what you guys are doing (but then again I'm not really learning drunken completely, just this one drill so far). The drill began from a 60/40 stance, then your right leg kicks back as you strike with your right hand as you would normally in our tiger drill. A small chumbu step is take with the left foot, slightly rolling it out on the side (remeber I'm very new to the drunken thing). The right leg steps high as to block a kick or strike comming to the knees(by stepping on the strike it seems) as it steps over your left knee/shin with a swaying action, then the left leg shoots back as you strike using your whole body and the swaying action with your left hand(tiger claws).

The drill isn't quiet as in depth as what many of you have posted, but it is a Hung Gar drill with drunken footwork merely added on. It gives the strikes a bit more power it seems. I've used the stepping pattern a few times while sparring with my roommate and it seems to work on non-trained fighters well, however I'm not that good at it so when I spar guys that have allready seen it at my school they know what to do with it (because my drunken boxing consist of only this one drill :) ..) Oh well it's fun and I guess its a start.
  15. Offline

LoneTiger Allumni

Im a Hung Student as well Monkey :}

The drills i learnt were made up by my sifu as well, just as im sure the ones he learnt were made up by his.

Still there is a definate influence of it in the style and although im only at Gung Gee now, the next form being Fu Hok actualy has a whole drunken section. Which although not often shown this way it is actualy there in its own right. Blew my mind when i saw it.

lol as i side note that took a lot of conning my sifu still hasnt shown me the whole of fu hok, he is always to humble and at the same time wont show things that arnt really at your level.

Getting towards the end of the polishing of Gung Gee though so i cant wait to see and practice Fu hok.

By the way just like im doing, if your sifu knows the drunk in hung then he knows his stuff stick with him!

Just one winge though

my sifu decided that Gung Gee was two favored of one sided techniques so he mirrored the WHOLE DARN THING

ie my gung is 2 times the length

my pore sore thighs :{

still least im becoming ambidextrous hehe [i hate spelling]
  16. Offline

eight fist Allumni

Styles:
    Years:
    Drunken Fist

Thats a great way to teach yourself ambidexterity!! Frustrating I bet, but that is one of the great teachers. It is really interesting that the drunken we have done seems to be Very similar and I think thats great!!! The stepping drill I mentioned before is basically the same as the one you practiced with the different stances being leaned out to the breaking point to build strength. By using the sides of the feet as well as the lean you gain great balance and strong stances, and ankles as well! The main hand strike I was shown for drunken was the drunkards cup fist, very similar though to the phoenix eye, although we use that too for more exact targets. It seems our styles are quite the same, I wonder then, what weapons of the drunkard have you been taught I was shown: straight sword, broadsword, spear, Quan Dao, gourd, and some short staff. All with their fighting applications, my sifu was very particular about that. "No reason to learn to dance with a weapon" he would say, usually right before your first weapon sparring. I must say I agree, if you have the opportunity to learn how to actually use the weaponry and style in combat, you should take it!
  17. Offline

LoneTiger Allumni

lol yeah really does sound very similar. Ive been shown cup fist strikes as well : }

One thing about my training...

I decided a while back to leave weapons for the END of the system, so im gonna learn ALL the hand forms first. There is certainly weapons at my school but i have never felt much towards learning them seriously.

Im a beliver that if you know your hands well you can make a weapon be nothing but a hinderence for your opponent. Still ive learnt some weapons outside of this style and dont have a distain for them.

I will also, as i say learn the staff at least. When i finish the rest :}

Hence im not tooooo sure about weapons of the drunkard but staffs would seem very natural and even the broadsword and straitsword im sure could be adapted without much trouble.

Still if i was gonna be a hillbilly drunken kung fu master... I would take a flute just seems kinda fitting :}
  18. Offline

LoneTiger Allumni

Can i ask aswell

It certainly sounds like the style you learn is actual 8 drunken immortals

If so your very lucky to have a teacher of such a rare system

either way any chance you would share a little about your system and whether or not you teach form and the like.

I have been curious of drunken for years and you seem to be from a compleate system
  19. Offline

MonkeyFist Allumni

Styles:
    Kung Fu
    Yes Lone Tiger my Sifu knows quiet a bit, he is the Inheritor of Wong Ark Yuey's Five Family Fist, as well as the 36th(retired) Patriarch of the Emperor's Long Fist system. Sifu was also a senior student of 7th Grandmaster Share K Lew of the Choy Li Fut system. He knows a great deal of Drunken Boxing and other rare forms of kung fu but on the other hand he isn't quick to hand it out. We have to work for a long time to get "the good stuff" as we like to call it. I haven't seen any drunken weapons or anything of the such yet, but I do know that broadsword and staff is favored by some of those whom I know that practice the drunken animal forms.

Also, I'm not too shure on my Hung Ga forms because for the most part you learn the Five Animals first in the Five Family Fists/ Five Animals system. I've seen the forms you mentioned in our curriculum but I haven't gotten to them yet.

Anyone seen drunken monkey My main Animal is monkey but I haven't gotten into its drunken side, I can't wait until I do. I've seen a bit of it though, quiet impressive.
  20. Offline

Jeff C. Allumni

Eight drunken immortals.

Hey lone tiger! what's up

I can't tell you to much about drunken techniques because i've only practiced a few movements. like cup hand and false steps

,but my sifu teaches eight drunken immortals.

He also teaches another dunken style called drunken spirit boxing.both are advanced forms with the drunken spirit boxing

being a very advanced form.

i've only been with him two months so i don't know to much about either one.he uses a lot of drunken technique and movements when we spar,and shows me how to do some of

them when i ask.the movement that he's showing me now is

a hop from eight drunken immortals to avoid blows.you can use

this hop to attack or move away from your attacker.

it looks simple but is very hard to do. i'm getting better at it each day though.

the one thing i do know you must have a strong foundation before you learn any drunken forms because of the false steps

and shifting of stance.

hope i was able to help you a little.

jmd161:)