Collapse Sidebar
  1. Welcome to The Dragon's List!
    If you have not registered on The Dragon's List, the process is fast, easy, and free! You can register by clicking here.
    If you have already registered you can log in by clicking here.

Hung gar in Chicago

Discussion in 'Animal Forms & Styles' started by rogerclf1, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Offline

rogerclf1

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew someone teaching Hung gar in the Chicagoland area. My cousin just moved here a couple of months ago and is looking for a school. I tried getting him to join where I train Choy lay fut at, but he doesn't want to switch over, which I can understand. I know about Andrew Kong in the Rockford area but that is about a 3 hour drive in rush hour. So if anyone has any ideas it will be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Offline

Joe Was
    Zhi Te Fa - BaGua Zhang

Styles:
    A few mainly BaGua Zhang
    Years:
    The good Hung Gar people that I knew are all retired or dead now, but Chicago curently has a few good Mantis and Choy Li Fut people.
  3. Offline

rogerclf1

Yeah, I have been training Choy lay fut in Chicago. I tried getting him to come by the school, but he is just too damn stubborn to give it a try. He wants to stick with the Hung Gar even if he just trains the Wing Lam dvds (that is the lineage he is from) and go once a month to a school elsewhere for corrections. That may work, but that still isn't better than having somewhere weekly.
  4. Offline

bobblehead

Kong's Siu Lam Pai teaches CLF as a part of the curriculum anyhow.
  5. Offline

rogerclf1

hey Bobblehead, he is looking for the Hung gar, not the Choy lay fut. I talked to him yesterday and he is starting one of the dvds and going somewhere out of state next month for a weekend until he can find someone out here.
  6. Offline

bobblehead

Understood, but since Andrew Kong was mentioned i thought it relevant to point out that he teaches Hung Kuen and CLF as part of the same curriculum.

(That is assuming he is teaching the Siu Lam Pai curriculum, which i am fairly certain he does.)

My feeling is that an hour spent with a competent instructor can be equal to many, many hours of dvd time in the amount and quality of learning.

Furthermore, learning incorrectly is counterproductive as it takes time to correct bad habits.

Not to say videos do not have their place, but they cannot replace an instructor.
  7. Offline

rogerclf1

Oh yeah, I agree with you. He has trained Hung gar for 5 years and was just going to learn the next form he was supposed to learn at his old school. But he totally understands that he needs an instructor. There has to be some practitioners hidden away in Chicago somewhere in the woodwork. He may just have to go to Andrew Kong if nothing else.
  8. Offline

bobblehead

What was his old curriculum like and what was the next set he was supposed to learn?

Just curious...
  9. Offline

rogerclf1

Not really sure. I don't see him too often since he is in the city of Chicago and I am about 50 miles away. I only know that he trained with one of Wing Lam's students. He just asked me if I can help him with finding a class and I decided to come on here to ask. He did say he learned Lau Gar Kuen and 3 of the Pillar forms. He did learn a couple of weapons, but not sure which ones. I do plan on doing some training with him soon...
  10. Offline

bobblehead

Nice, how bout yourself, what branch of CLF are you from?

I trained in a Siu Lam Pai affiliated school here and did some Chan family as well.
  11. Offline

rogerclf1

I train with Sifu Sam Ng with the Ng Family Martial Arts Association. As far as branch, it is Hung Sing.
  12. Offline

rogerclf1

Lineage wise it is my sifu---To Hon Cheung---Fong Yuk Shu----Chan Koon Pak---Chan Heung.
  13. Offline

JasonCreel

did you ever find a sifu in chicago?