Collapse Sidebar
  1. Welcome to The Dragon's List!
    If you have not registered on The Dragon's List, the process is fast, easy, and free! You can register by clicking here.
    If you have already registered you can log in by clicking here.

isometrics

Discussion in 'Workout and Conditioning' started by Dark_Samurai, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Offline

Dark_Samurai

Is it a good idea to do isometric muscular exercises every day
  2. Offline

superpiggypig

i did

back when i first learned of iso. i did six days a week, sundays off.

only thing is I quit and believe me I lost alot of my gained strength.
  3. Offline

Pavel_M

It is not good to do isometrics every day. In fact, it is not good to do any kind of muscle development (like waightlifting or isometrics) every day. If you do it every day, your trainings won't be very affective since you loose a lot of your energy. Scientists recomend to do muscle development exercises every 48 hours because you need to gain back the energy that you wasted. It is also not good to do isometrics every day, because isometrics is the type of exercise where lots of blood goes to your muscles, and therefore less amount of blood comes back to your heart. Isometrics are ok if you do it every second day, but not every day. In fact, if you'll do any kind of muscle developing exercises every day with a large amount of effort put into each session, it can result in a major permanent muscle tissue damage. What I suggest is that you should do muscle developing exercises on one day, and do cardio exercises the other day (such as rope skipping, and various other aerobic exercises).

-Pavel
  4. Offline

superpiggypig

have you ever heard of the silent scream.

I used to do it alot until I found out just what it was and what it did to the body.

Basically its an isometric stance involving all the muscles, one day I did this everything went black,bam i hit the barbell w/the weights on it,I fell over and hit the wall. When I came to I was shaking something terrible. This is what made me stop doing this. Its not good for you, it may develope strength, but its not worth this. Any oppinions...
  5. Offline

JKD327

How did you do the silent scream
  6. Offline

Dark_Samurai

Thank you

Thank you all for your replies!

:cool:
  7. Offline

Pavel_M

superpiggypig

In my understanding it happened because you did it for a long period of time. I have read a book about Bruce Lee's exercises, which is called "The way of expressing the human body", and there it said that he recomended to do each isometric exercise for 12-15 seconds. Some people that don't know much about isometrics, do isometric exercises for over a minute. That's what tricky about isometrics, you feel that you can do each exercise much much longer than 12 seconds, but you really shouldn't because 12 seconds is enough. If you do them for more than 12-15 seconds each, you can easily demage your heart, so be VERY careful. Best wishes and train well ;)

P.S. I have never heard of the silent scream. Could anybody tell me how it's done

Thank you for your time
  8. Offline

superpiggypig

the silent scream...

I only did the silent scream for maybe 6-8sec. 3 times a week, and I passed out and fell over and woke up shaking. I heard it was good for you but its not.

to do it

stand with your feet shoulder width apart,only vertical, next draw your hands up above your head and pull them down. While pulling tighten every muscle in your body. Hold and then release.

its suppose to work, but when you tighten all your muscles you cant get enough blood to them, this is why I fell. I thought it worked but it doesn't.

I always believe in trying something for myself to see if it works, but its true this doesn't work.
  9. Offline

Dark_Samurai

Oh boy!

Thank you for the advice Superpiggypig, I won't try this exercise!

:cool:
  10. Offline

superpiggypig

smart person
  11. Offline

januswt

??????

can u guys teach me some isometric exercises

how can i do it

they are regular lifting exercises
  12. Offline

Pavel_M

januswt2

Hi januswt2

Isometric exercises are not lifting exercises. They are static exercises. Isemetrics are exercises where you push or pull something as hard as you can for a short period of time (12 to 15 seconds recommended) without moving. For example, my favourite isometric exercise is when you stand with one of your shoulders facing the wall, with an approximate distance or 20 cm from your shoulder to the wall. Then, straighten the arm that is closer to the wall, and press it against the wall as hard as you can for 12 to 15 seconds without stopping. Then switch arms and do the same thing with the other arm. DO NOT do any of isometric exercises for longer than 15 sec. each even if you feel you can do for longer time. If you do each exercise for longer than 15 sec., then you will run the risk of damaging your heart.

Best wishes and good luck with your training

:D
  13. Offline

januswt

thanks pavel_m
  14. Offline

Pavel_M

No problem:) :D
  15. Offline

zyreon

Bioengineering for more frequent training

Hi, what some of you said got me thinking, and in theory you could perhaps ready your body for additional weight training far sooner than 48 hours.

I will list some of the safer things you can do.

Biochemical:

-take creatine (muscle enhancer, increases energy and speeds recovery, though you must drink plenty of water.)

-increase protein intake(via suplement or diet)

-increase multivitamin and mineral intake(this is essential for all body training, you must take a good multivitamin pill.)

-drink plenty of water.

-drink herbal teas

recovery exercises:

-be sure to stretch every muscle before and after(stretching is very very important, it helps to clean out wasteproducts and increase the supply of nutrients.

-do tai chi exercises

-do chi kung/qi gong exercises

-meditate

-do yoga

misc:

-take a cold shower( it helps flush out some of the lactic acid among other benefits)

IMPORTANT---> You MUST get good sleep as this is the bodys main chance to do repairs and recover. I suggest you get 8 hours sleep or more if possible.
  16. Offline

1591 Guest

Links?

Anyone know any good websites with pictures/diagrams
  17. Offline

black_tiger_ryan

thats really cool, ima start tryin to do that.

cheers
  18. Offline

frumpychicken

Yes isometrics are good for you...you see what happens when you do weights of any kind is that on a cellular level when you do them, the cells in your muscles die off and rebuild stronger, which is why you need to take a break in between your weights/isometrics. A good thing to do is to work on a different area of your body each day so you can work all of the muscle groups in that area each time, instead of working the same groups each time, resulting in some really strong areas and some weak ones!!!Which happens to lots of people!!!

The best way to figure out exercises for different muscles is to just get out the encyclopedeia and have a look at where they start and finish and how they work!!!

And before you do the scilent scream (there are many ways to do this) you should do some type of cadiovascular exercise (running, lots of bagwork etc.) for a long period of time so that your heart can pump enough blood around your body and so you dont pass out!!! There are also more advanced forms of the scilent scream, which develope your chi aswell!!