Collapse Sidebar
  1. Welcome to The Dragon's List!
    If you have not registered on The Dragon's List, the process is fast, easy, and free! You can register by clicking here.
    If you have already registered you can log in by clicking here.

Just Startin Out

Discussion in 'Newcomers Forum' started by ChillnMann, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Offline

clfsean
    Traditum Curmudgeonous Maximus

Styles:
    Choy Lay Fut, Lama Pai
    Years:
    Queen's English or American English? I gotta admit I wasn't familiar with it, but it didn't take a quick second to figure it out.
  2. Offline

droenn

Damn me for hoping there'd be at least one place on the internet where everyone wasn't seething.
  3. Offline

Unkotare
    furinkazan

Styles:
    rasslin' and...stuff
    Years:
    +++
    Um, American English. Maybe I'm just too old for y'all.
    clfsean likes this.
  4. Offline

Unkotare
    furinkazan

Styles:
    rasslin' and...stuff
    Years:
    +++

This is hardly "seething."
  5. Offline

clfsean

Styles:
    Choy Lay Fut, Lama Pai
    Years:
    Get it gramps!
  6. Offline

droenn

This is the internet, you should be use to exaggerations.
  7. Offline

clfsean

Styles:
    Choy Lay Fut, Lama Pai
    Years:
    This isn't even close to seething. Not even in the same hemisphere...
  8. Offline

droenn

This is the internet, you should be use to exaggerations.
  9. Offline

Dinkydoo

Styles:
    7 Star PM, Foshan WC
    Years:
    I wouldn't call it aggression, or tension.

It takes a lot of dedication and a certain mentality to persevere with a martial art, and this forum has members who have practiced and dedicated themselves to learning various different styles for decades. There are a lot of strong people who post on here (as you would expect) and as such debates can get a little heated; not to be confused with aggressive.
    TaiSha, Joe Was, Shiver and 1 other person like this.
  10. Offline

Unkotare
    furinkazan

Styles:
    rasslin' and...stuff
    Years:
    +++

Well, I can't help but elden, but far be it from me to become a cumberground and dwine for the days when young people weren't such drumbles that they would clyte over words that ought not to be considered any kind of embranglement at all.
    clfsean likes this.
  11. Offline

clfsean

Styles:
    Choy Lay Fut, Lama Pai
    Years:
    Wow... Appalachia-speak for the win!!
    Unkotare likes this.
  12. Offline

Joe Was
    Zhi Te Fa - BaGua Zhang

Styles:
    A few mainly BaGua Zhang
    Years:
    Think about it martial art practitioners are not the monks living in a monastic situation like, Kung Fu the TV show. It is people who compet or are competitive many of which have equally developed egos. So, like martial sparing, verbal sparing is alive and well. You add people who are young or inexperienced who do don't know what they are talking about because most of their experiance is in movies and books, and you get experiance vs wana-be's.
  13. Offline

ChillnMann WU-TANG FOREVER

Styles:
    Just startin' out
    Already have ;-) LOL

My mums bought me a full Chicken yesterday so that was last night's dinner, feeling much better today! I don't feel as pissed off, maybe it was my stomach being pissed off at me...LOL.

I will convert to vegetarian eventually but like you said "However the only way to be a healthy vegetarian is to be an educated vegetarian" and I guess I still got a lot more research to do on the subject. Also been eating good every 3 hours and I'm already feeling the weight climb back on, and you know, I haven't ate red meat for almost 4 months, that's probably why I've been feeling so irritable just lately but I wanna avoid red meat at all costs, I know it can do more harm than good, I'll just start consuming more spinach, haven't really been eating much of that stuff lately coming to think about it, I had 3 poached eggs on toast earlier though.
    Joe Was likes this.
  14. Offline

aaradia

Styles:
    Choy Li Fut, Yang Tai Chi
    Years:
    I knew the phrase, but I am pretty sure that I am even older than you! So it may well be an age thing.:D
  15. Offline

Doppelganger CLF,WC, Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan & Grappling

Styles:
    CLF,TC,WC,Judo,BJJ
    Years:
    What's seething mean I'm unfamiliar with this as well?
    Sorry couldn't resist and of course just joking.
    TaiSha likes this.
  16. Offline

TaiSha Southern Princess Warrior

Styles:
    Time & Effort
    Years:
    Yeah, It's fun.
    Just like the sparring is.
  17. Offline

TaiSha Southern Princess Warrior

Styles:
    Time & Effort
    Years:
    I'm glad you feel better. Listening to your body is Extremely important!

Why would you avoid lean red meat?
    Joe Was likes this.
  18. Offline

Joe Was
    Zhi Te Fa - BaGua Zhang

Styles:
    A few mainly BaGua Zhang
    Years:

To be a healthy vegan is a lot of food and way too much prep time. You need to eat a mountain of diverse foods. Adding some meat to a mainly vegan diet is a good shortcut. This way you can, eat less.

My parents butchered a calf every year and at least one hog, canned and other things. Dad was a contractor and he did not work in the winter. So, we lived out of the freezer and root-cellar. When older I helped. The calf slaughter was no big deal, they all most ask, to be killed and the are, as dumb, as a slug.

The pigs are a different story. If you go into the pig pen to do normal things the pigs are happy and mill around some come up to you. If you go in to pick one out they all know it. They get nervous and try to hide behind each other. Once, you pick your pig they all know it. All the other pigs move to the other side and the one you picked, now all-alone also, knows he is picked. This had a profound affect on my respect for meat.

So, when I went to the University I changed my diet to a Daoist diet. Mainly vegetables, less grains and about 4 oz of meat a day. For me this was nearly a perfect diet. When I met my to be wife she was a lactic-vegan. And, when we were married she preferred a more high-protein diet. For her it helps keep her weight down for me more meat in my diet makes it a bit harder to keep weight off.

In both cases grains and dairy seem to be the problems for both of us; the more grains and dairy we consume the more weight we put on.

So, meat and non-grain vegetables are not the problem. For us, it is sugars, starches and low fiber which, is what grains and dairy are mostly. I would say meat and non-grain vegetables are best based upon our experience.
    Shiver likes this.
  19. Offline

Styles:
    Just startin' out
    Thank you.

Why not? All Red Meat is a killer amongst Cigarettes and Alcohol, even though I smoke but I'm quitting this week and I don't drink. We're all entitled to our own beliefs though. And I've seen what Red Meat does to people, believe me, it's a nasty piece of work but I'm not against people for eating it, like I said, we're entitled to our own beliefs and what you do to or with your body is entirely up to you.
  20. Offline

Styles:
    Just startin' out
    Prep time ain't no biggy to me and it ain't that much food really if you're keeping it balanced. Meat is cool like I said, I've started adding in the chicken and fish to my diet, just had some pasta with tuna, kale and tai chilli actually, I ain't gonna incorporate too much meat into my diet though and I'm slowly gonna transit back to vegetarian (I hate labels btw) and do it properly.

Dairy is nasty imo, yeah it's cool to eat the eggs or whatever to get that protein but that stuff messes you up, well it messes me up but you know we really shouldn't be putting that stuff into our bodies. Yeah I eat eggs once in a while but I'm doing it to put the weight on and bulk up, once I get to that desired weight I'm gonna stop messing with that junk and maintain my physique with the vegetables, fruits, some nuts, some grains (mainly quinoa) which is a really good grain. Starch is really bad though, it's pretty much like eating plastic. People wonder why they're getting stiff as they age, it's from the starch...people need to wake up for real.