Collapse Sidebar
  1. Welcome to The Dragon's List!
    If you have not registered on The Dragon's List, the process is fast, easy, and free! You can register by clicking here.
    If you have already registered you can log in by clicking here.

New Cybersecurity Bill Gives Obama ‘Power To Shut Down Companies’

Discussion in 'The Soap Box' started by KungFu Krissy, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Offline

KungFu Krissy
    Super Moderator

Styles:
    Wah Lum and BJJ/Muay Thai
    Years:
    +/-
  2. Offline

Joe Was
    Zhi Te Fa - BaGua Zhang

Styles:
    A few mainly BaGua Zhang
    Years:
    That is pretty much how I heard it on public radio, hardly a right-wing source; only it was presented to counter things like the leaked Bush/pentagon papers that highlighted wide-spread corruption in the war effort, that was labeled "a thereat to ongoing policy, security and personnel in the war effort" which is a little softer than the linked article. The eventual out-come could well be the same though?
  3. Offline

john100

This bit

Is right wing propaganda. Tell it to the guys at the Iranian nuclear plants hit by a targeted virus recently (it is possible that instance may not have been web sourced but currently it's where the smart money is). There is a theoretically possible threat. A realistic one from China. Whether that threat justifies limiting freedom is up for discussion - I'd say it doesn't.

I'd suggest the real goal is US control of the global internet as much as possible.
  4. Offline

Sammygirl

Styles:
    Wah Lum, Yang Tai Chi
    Years:
    10+
    I'd say there are any number of countries who would love to have majority control of the global Internet. It's all about control of information.

For such a damned old liberal I sure sound like a paranoid conspiracy nut from time to time.

But control of information has historically been one of the best ways for one country to dominate others so -- we're in interesting times, watching governments try to figure out how to corral the tidal wave of information that everyone has access to (for the moment).
  5. Offline

Joe Was
    Zhi Te Fa - BaGua Zhang

Styles:
    A few mainly BaGua Zhang
    Years:
    Yes, every Fascist or totalitarian Government begins with controlling the media, free speech and independent information.
  6. Offline

Nik
    Super Moderator

The important part is THIS:

I somehow would think that national emergency is not declared every odd Sunday in months containing a "u", right ?