Collapse Sidebar
  1. Welcome to The Dragon's List!
    If you have not registered on The Dragon's List, the process is fast, easy, and free! You can register by clicking here.
    If you have already registered you can log in by clicking here.

Sweet Taste In Mouth?

Discussion in 'General Health Care' started by Doppelganger, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Offline

Doppelganger CLF,WC, Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan & Grappling

Styles:
    CLF,TC,WC,Judo,BJJ
    Years:
    Ok I have a serious question because I know that sweet taste in mouth can be signs of diabetes which runs in my family.

I've started cutting more carbs out of my diet and already don't drink or eat sugar. I've also increased my activity level and noticed this on Thursday when I drank some Ice tea and noticed it tasted sweet I did start my WC lesson on Wednesday and will admit the inward horse stance is completely opposite of the outward horse so my legs were sore for about 4 days because I was pushing my stance. I've also really been upping my activity level practicing my CLF forms and doing Qigong and stance training. I've heard of body builders getting a sweet taste in their mouth when they cut calories and do work outs so I was wondering if it was the diet and activity change?

I had blood work done about 16 months ago and it came back perfect so I don't know if I want to waste time and money on going to the DR or just wait it out and see if it goes away on its own since I don't feel fatigued or sick.

Any info on this would be appreciated like I said it happened after diet change and increasing my activity that I know is burning fat content.
  2. Offline

Styles:
    CLF,TC,WC,Judo,BJJ
    Years:
    I will admit i realy miss my unsweetened Ice Tea and Coffee.
  3. Offline

Sammygirl

Styles:
    Wah Lum, Yang Tai Chi
    Years:
    10+
    Hmm. Well, first let me be the responsible one a say, your doctor knows best, so always check if you're not sure.

But: When doing a low-carb, high-protein diet there are some specific changes that that take place. In the extreme low-carb type diet (Atkins, e.g.), your body actually gets ketonic. This is something that doctors want diabetics to avoid; however, it's the thing that makes Atkins type diets work.

Many low-carb dieters start giving off a particular body odor. Some experience taste changes. (I don't know if it's a sweet taste because I didn't experience that.)

You'll also probably notice a marked decrease in endurance, even though you feel lighter. This is because your body isn't taking in enough carbs to sustain high levels of physical activity for more than a few minutes.

While you're doing low-carb, be sure to drink more water than usual. This helps flush out your kidneys, which are shedding excess protein (part of the whole ketonic thing).

I only gave up coffee for the first two weeks when I did South Beach Diet. That was the hardest part. Also, my teeth ached during the first couple of weeks, and stopped when I moved up to Phase II where limited carbs are reintroduced. Don't know why.
  4. Offline

Styles:
    CLF,TC,WC,Judo,BJJ
    Years:
    I just tested my blood sugar and it was 83 which is lower then most people so educated guess it's not blood sugar and must be my diet and activity changes.

I'm not doing any paticular diet ive just decided to try to cut as much carbs from my diet so my body starts to burn its stored fat since I know my endurance isn't what it use to be.

Pretty much my diet rite now is going to be meat, veggies, eggs and the dairy I take in from the 2% milk in my coffee and cheese I eat on my foods.
  5. Offline

Sammygirl

Styles:
    Wah Lum, Yang Tai Chi
    Years:
    10+
    Sounds like you are doing a low-carb diet. You really want to do this correctly, so I highly recommend reading 2 books:

- the South Beach Diet -- even if you don't want to do this diet, read the opening chapters for a good overview of what a low carb diet physically does to you, and ways to cope.

- The Four-Hour Body -- A big fat book that tells you how to do a "slow-carb" diet and ways to further increase your metabolism. The author actually tried everything that he recommends in the book. If there's one takeaway from the book it is this: Eat beans. Lots of them. Every day.

BTW I had so-so success doing South Beach. I've had fantastic success doing Four-Hour Body.
  6. Offline

Joe Was
    Zhi Te Fa - BaGua Zhang

Styles:
    A few mainly BaGua Zhang
    Years:
    Two things come to mind. If for some reason your mouth has picked up a different bacteria or yeast, kissing?
    Some, mouth Flora produce an acidic general mouth. So, even water will taste sweet.

The other is not so good. People with heavy metals in their mouth or sometimes their system have a sweet taste in the mouth all the time.

Mystery fruit can make non-sweetened things taste sweet but the affect only lasts about two hours.
    Sometimes the taste buds get a cold and provide miss-information for a few days. They heal and replace often.
    A cerebral event like swollen artery, growth or trauma.
    A nasal infection can also, cause a sweet taste in the mouth.
    Acid reflux by the same acid environment as a new mouth flora, can give you a sweet taste rather than a sour one.
    A viral nerve infection can trick the senses.

Most of the nasty ones listed are not too common. And, as you tested your blood sugar. Try a good mouth brushing and a hydrogen peroxide mouth rinse first. It will take a few trys.
  7. Offline

Styles:
    CLF,TC,WC,Judo,BJJ
    Years:
    Cool thanks for the info SammyGirl I will probably still be eating sweet potatoes, potatoes and rice on occasions.

I'm really not doing it to drop mass weight I'm just trying to change my diet to more of a grain free diet.
  8. Offline

Styles:
    CLF,TC,WC,Judo,BJJ
    Years:
    I'll try the peroxide rinses.
  9. Offline

KungFu Krissy
    Super Moderator

Styles:
    Wah Lum and BJJ/Muay Thai
    Years:
    +/-
    Of course, always check with your doctor, buuuut...
    I have noticed when I drink TONS of water and nothing else and then have a Pepsi, it's like a gross syrupy-sugary taste in my mouth for a while. Also noticed the same thing when I go weeks w/o eating something nasty like McDonald's and then do, same thing, but like a nasty fat-coating on my tongue. It's probably your diet, but if it persists, I'd check with my doc.
  10. Offline

Styles:
    CLF,TC,WC,Judo,BJJ
    Years:
    I'm not to concerned yet because I read a few body building forums where they had people posting that they have had the sweet Taste last for weeks when they cut carbs out and increased work out activity.

A few body builders even were accused of cheating by their wife/GF because they tasted sweet during their extra curricular activity. They said it wasn't funny at the time but look back upon it and can laugh about it now.
    TaiSha likes this.
  11. Offline

Styles:
    CLF,TC,WC,Judo,BJJ
    Years:
    It's the ketonic syndrome that the body building forums were speaking of. Makes you have a sweet taste in your mouth and your sweat will smell and taste sweet as well.
    Joe Was likes this.
  12. Offline

KungFu Krissy
    Super Moderator

Styles:
    Wah Lum and BJJ/Muay Thai
    Years:
    +/-
    I did a little googling and saw that in addition to that (low carb diet) it can also be caused by Aspartame.
  13. Offline

Styles:
    CLF,TC,WC,Judo,BJJ
    Years:
    Thanks for doing research but I'm completely against artificial sweeteners
    So it's not that.

I drink Coffee Water and Ice Tea with no additional Sweetners or sugars.
  14. Offline

Styles:
    CLF,TC,WC,Judo,BJJ
    Years:
    Well the sweet taste in my mouth finally has gone away I think it was just from my diet and activity change. I've increased my CLF form training quite a bit so I'm in the process of relearning all my old forms and started my Weekly WC lesson which also was an increase in activity level.
  15. Offline

Joe Was
    Zhi Te Fa - BaGua Zhang

Styles:
    A few mainly BaGua Zhang
    Years:
    Did you try better or more brushing of teeth and mouth. Or, was it just diet?
  16. Offline

Styles:
    CLF,TC,WC,Judo,BJJ
    Years:
    I was to lazy to buy peroxide but I already brush twice daily and use mouthwash at night do I would say I doubt that was it because I use wash that's has peroxide in it to help whiten teeth.

I really think it was the Ketones being released because I dropped 5 pounds in a week and like I said I wasn't doing it for weight loss I just happened to want to start to eat healthier and also up my activity level.

The funny thing is I just was doing 15 minutes if stretching then the 24 step Yang Style Tai Chi routine for my warm up. I would then do about 30 to 60 minutes of forms then 15 to 30 minutes of qigong to cool down.

Over all I was doing about 1.5 to 2 hours a day for 5 days a week and added my minimal grain diet on top of that. I think the combo of stretching then cardio then qigong probably jump started my metabolism since I've been a lazy bum for quite some time.
    Joe Was likes this.
  17. Offline

Dale Dugas My door is always open.

Styles:
    Jook Lum South Mantis
    Years:
    Sweet taste in the mouth can be a sign that your spleen qi is affected. Look at your diet as too many carbs and simple starches will only make it worse.
    Joe Was likes this.
  18. Offline

TaiSha Southern Princess Warrior

Styles:
    Time & Effort
    Years:
    me to
  19. Offline

Styles:
    CLF,TC,WC,Judo,BJJ
    Years:
    I think it was all caused from my diet change since I dropped about 7-10 pounds of fat in such a short period of time and now have had no side effects for some time now.

I saw a very disgusting new age diet on a tv talk show yesterday where people get a feeding tube stuck down their nose that is connected to a nutrient filled bag that they have to tote around for two weeks. This solution pumped in to their stomach and puts them in a state of ketosis and is suppose to cause a 20 pound weight reduction in two weeks. I found this to be a very disgusting way for vain people to loose weight and an abuse of medical science and how drs will entrepreneur on these vain people.
  20. Offline

Styles:
    CLF,TC,WC,Judo,BJJ
    Years: