Collapse Sidebar
  1. Welcome to The Dragon's List!
    If you have not registered on The Dragon's List, the process is fast, easy, and free! You can register by clicking here.
    If you have already registered you can log in by clicking here.

Teaching Martial Arts In Public Schools

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by H@pkid0ist, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Offline

H@pkid0ist Dlist King of Kings!!!

Styles:
    many.
    Years:
    30+
    I am curious to know everyone's input on this. I know there are some schools that do this already, so it is not an impossibility.
  2. Offline

aaradia

Styles:
    Choy Li Fut, Yang Tai Chi
    Years:
    I would need to know more details to form an opinion. How is it set up? What are the qualifications of the teachers? How long is the class? What is the goal of the class? Lots of variables here.
  3. Offline

Unkotare
    furinkazan

Styles:
    rasslin' and...stuff
    Years:
    +++
    More trouble than it would be worth.
  4. Offline

john100

I wouldn't even teach yoga to the senior class in a private school - martial arts in a public one would be ten times more hassle ... admittedly it was a girl's school, but even so.
  5. Offline

Shiver

Styles:
    Hung Gar
    Years:
    I think it would not be a bad idea if the student/pupil is interested. MA is not for everyone, like soccer or basketball and the likes. In our schools (i mean the ones i went to) we had a range of different things, soccer, climbing ropes, baseball etc.Depending on weather and also what the teacher wanted to do.

Giving full week/day in day out MA might not be of interest to everyone.
  6. Offline

clfsean
    Traditum Curmudgeonous Maximus

Styles:
    Choy Lay Fut, Lama Pai
    Years:
    I would in a heart beat if it were feasible.

However with all the little ****heads out there now-a-days, there's no way I'd teach them how to be more efficient at what they think life is all about thanks to the past media of the last 20 years or more. Plus it'd have to be my terms, which I don't believe any school system would go along with.

At least if they show up at my class now, I have the option to keep them or send them packing.

I will say in support of it, one of my students is a teacher in a local school system. He was conscripted into teaching a martial arts class in their ASP (After School Program) twice a week for an hour. He's a 2nd Black in TKD aside from studying with me. This class is for "at risk kids" only. He has reported that they respond well & he is able to see improvement in them in their behavioral/academic life there at school. He also has a fair amount of leeway in the kids there because of their status (At Risk) in handling discipline issues within the class. He's even able to remove kids from the class & have them placed in other classes if they are too disruptive.

The Chuck had (has?) a program in place in the Houston, Tx school system. It's been there for at least the past 10 years (probably more) & is a "school system" program. It's highly structured & monitored, but there's been nothing but positive reports from it.

I would love to, but I just don't see it happening. I don't see me lobbying actively for it unless I have major input & control... which again isn't going to happen.
    Green_Horn and aaradia like this.
  7. Offline

aaradia

Styles:
    Years:
    Yeah, things like sean describe sound like somethig I can support. Adding a few weeks of MA lessons, then moving on to soccer or batmitton for a few weeks, taught by an unqualified gyn teacher- no.
  8. Offline

Unkotare
    furinkazan

Styles:
    rasslin' and...stuff
    Years:
    +++
    Why would a gynecologist teach MA?
    Doppelganger and clfsean like this.
  9. Offline

aaradia

Styles:
    Years:
    Yikes! I meant GYM teacher! Lol!

That is what I get for posting before the coffee has kicked in!
  10. Offline

clfsean

Styles:
    Choy Lay Fut, Lama Pai
    Years:
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH...
  11. Offline

Styles:
    many.
    Years:
    30+
    From what i have seen, the programs in the schools are really no different than in the studios. They also go over history and philosophy.

I can see it being a regular and year round thing. Those that are your students in school can continue to be your students at your studio year round.
    Remember that a good martial art studio does not teach disciple but helps to foster self discipline. These are good health and academic benefits as well. I know most of the students i have ever know of have usually had better grades after they start training than before.
    As for insurance, Im sure that it would be tma similar requirement as with a stand alone studio.
  12. Offline

Styles:
    many.
    Years:
    30+
  13. Offline

Joe Was
    Zhi Te Fa - BaGua Zhang

Styles:
    A few mainly BaGua Zhang
    Years:
    The sad state of a litigiousness world may require a less martial and more martial-like form of instruction in schools. Something, more like martial exercise than actual martial arts. And, yes I do believe exercise in schools is important. What's more there is a secondary motivation to this. One of my older students noticed that many documentary or travel shows on China show school children doing martial arts as part of their curriculum and then adults doing daily martial exercise. The point that was made is China's population is better trained as a society and more easily converted to a standing fighting force for it.

In a different way the USA has somethng similar in the freedom to own firearms. It has been said that the perceived image is that if some aggressor were to invade the USA thay would face the worlds largest armed population. Something, no other country can claim with regards to firearms.

In a comparative but, different way the preceived image of Chinese people practicing martial arts in schools and as part of daily life also, presents the standing army image. With the urbanization of America more and more gun restrictions are a probable possibility and a better trained population in maetial arts would maintain that standing army concept.
    Green_Horn and H@pkid0ist like this.
  14. Offline

Green_Horn

I have mixed feelings when it comes to Martial arts and school sports. When I was in elementary school I did Judo for 2 years as an after school program my school provided. The teaching was pretty autonomous but also seemed very watered down. We also had to pay a monthly amount and pay for belt tests as if it was a studio and not just an after school program (most after school programs you paid something but not a monthly due).

I must say I like the idea of it but I'd be concerned with the logistics and quality of training. Also I'd have to ask: Would it be PRC wushu taught of? Karate? Kung Fu? etc. I realize that each area would probably have different styles as each area tends to have different concentrations of different things. Would the history and all be taught as well? Lots of questions.
    Joe Was likes this.
  15. Offline

Joe Was
    Zhi Te Fa - BaGua Zhang

Styles:
    A few mainly BaGua Zhang
    Years:
    My experiance with various Universities, Colleges and other schools in the system is if they do offer a course it is an introduction to one of the well known arts or sports. Olympic Judo, Shotokan or Shorin like Karate, Taekwondo and or health styles of Yang or Wu Tai Chi other styles of martial arts may be accessible but, if martial arts are offered it is almost always something like what was listed. They are always and introduction rather than multiple classes of various levels.
  16. Offline

Green_Horn

I dont have a lot of experience with this subject on a University level. My experience was just in the elementary school. Now my wife has taken Yang Style at the university level and it was broken up into level 1 and 2. The levels where broken into halves of Yang style....
    Joe Was likes this.
  17. Offline

aaradia

Styles:
    Years:
    :confused: What the heck is halves of Yang style? Half of a particular form? Certainly they weren't claiming to teach half of the entire Yang style system?
  18. Offline

Green_Horn

from what I understand...realize this is what she told me of a class she took before we met, was that the form was divided into two and the first half was taught in level one and second half in level two. No idea how many movements it was or anything like that. I know there was no tai chi weapons training involved.
  19. Offline

aaradia

Styles:
    Years:
    Ok, I am guessing it was the Yang 108 form, We are actually taught it over two sash levels. The first level in one, the second half the next one.

Just the form? No push hands? Did they teach her the martial applications of the moves in that form?
  20. Offline

clfsean

Styles:
    Choy Lay Fut, Lama Pai
    Years:
    I taught a full curriculum program at a local major university through their rec center. I was there a total of 8 years. The biggest problem in teaching there was the scheduling of the activity rooms, the schedule of the kids & ultimately towards the end, the almost open animosity between rec center staff & yours truly. We had no problem with getting the material across, but did have a problem with the kids' schedules. But like I would tell them for the first week or so of class, "You're here to learn, not do kung fu". I ended up with a pretty good core & actually one of my lower classmates was a student there & phenominal. So out of an opening day of say 20 (minus the core 10 or so), I end up normally with the core plus 2 or 3.

Colleges aren't real conducive to running a full on program unless it's an exceptional program/scholl like Stanford for instance. Stanford Judo is one of the top ranked judo clubs in America. Stanford Wushu is right there with them. But those are exceptions, not the rule.

For me, honestly, I'm done with school systems. Too much BS to try to give the kids something worthwhile in today's world.
    Green_Horn and Joe Was like this.